Thursday, September 30, 2010

Low Carb, Low Fat, Low Cholesterol

So... the newest thing in my life is this low-carb, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. My doctor decided that I needed to get healthy after getting some weird numbers on a blood test that my prospective life insurance company took on me. My triglycerides and my cholesterol numbers were pretty high... his prescription??? Loose weight, exercise more, and go on the diet I would get in the mail. No numerical goals, no nothing. Just loose weight and go on this diet. Luckily, with the help of some of my uber healthy supportive friends and family, (and TOTALLY ENCOURAGING HUSBAND) I've come up with a reasonable plan. Lots of fruits, veggies, and lean meats. But besides that, there's not much I can have lots of on a regular basis. Why? The lower fat food is high in carbs, and the lower carb food is high in fats. Kind of makes it hard to find good variety.

People say that when you eat healthy you feel better. I really can't say that I am there yet. I still feel the same. Maybe I'm not as tired in the evenings, but I'm super tired in the mornings. Maybe I'm eating better, and making smarter food choices, but I'm hungry more often. I would have to say, I'm more positive, on a general note. I do get discouraged because of what I can't eat, but on a regular basis, I'd say that I'm mentally more on top of things, and maybe even just a bit happier with myself.

I'm trying new foods. Some of them I'm even liking... i tried carmelized onions and like those. I've tried zucchini, and I like it too. Tried new seasonings. Don't like Herbs de Provence. Started cooking with fresh garlic again. LOVING that! It's super addicting. Missing my sweets, cheese and breads. REALLY missing the cheese. Had a major cheese pizza craving last night.

Thankfully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My numbers get rechecked in March, so maybe after March I can revisit some of my food favs. And quite possibly... I might fit into those jeans I've wanted to get at Old Navy, as well as some of the clothes I fit in when I was in college.. that just take up space under the bed. There is hope on the horizon.

If you have any non-exotic low-fat, low-carb, and low-cholesterol recipes that taste good, please share them with me. I'm sure that I'm gonna run out of ideas soon.

And P.S. To those of you who know you need to be healthy and are avoiding it, do yourself a favor, and even if you don't get your numbers checked, start exercising, or doing something to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It will do you good. Try eating something green (green jello does NOT count!). Try drinking more water, or try going on a walk with someone you love.

No comments: