Sunday, January 20, 2008

Recent Movies I have Viewed... and sadly disappointed by

Northanger Abbey - PBS/BBC (2007) - Sadly disappointed. Much better cinematography and much more decent acting than the 1987 BBC version of the same name. Tilney was a dream!!! The pacing was good and the characters believable... but there was a lot of swearing that WAS not in the original Jane Austen text. I need to reread the book - just to get it from the original source. NOT into this remake... WILL not buy the DVD.

27 Dresses - (2008) Has way cute preview... and James Mardsen is cute and good to watch. (It's all in the smile) But, I am again disappointed with the language and all the drinking. I was hoping for a better movie. Certainly I was involved, and I liked the plot line. The pacing was sluggish at best. Saw it opening day... but not buying the DVD

Persuasion - PBS/BBC (2007) - Again... disappointing... though I liked it better than NA. I still infinitely prefer the 1995 Sony Pictures version ... Would watch again, but not sure if I am going to buy the DVD.. after first view, I thought I might not get the DVD, but after seeing NA, I would prefer Persuasion more.

Enchanted (2007) - This was FANTASTIC!!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!! I want the DVD... no questions asked! I already own the CD, and have listened to the soundtrack at least 10 times. I bought the CD before I saw the movie, and waited to listen to it until I saw the movie, and I am glad I did. The music is good, it is creative, and I love how Disney does a parody of itself, in a non-Shrek way. Loved the musical numbers... thought there should have been at least one more, and Idena Menzel should have gotten a song, and Patrick Dempsy and James Mardsen should have also each gotten a song, or something more. :) This was great! GO SEE IT!!!!

2 comments:

Allison Wonderland said...

So.. I'm commenting on my own blog. I was so unhappy with Northanger Abbey, I pulled out my old version by BBC (1985), and was not any more thrilled. It has horrid, I mean horrid underscore with this stupid synthisized music with fake choral ahhs, bad saxophone.. I don't think it is good at all.. there's swearing in that one too, I think I am going to have to reread the actual story. Thorpe is still as disgusting of a character in this version of NA. Bummer... not at all my favorite Jane Austen story... but I guess that is because the movies are so bad.

Jenny said...

Ahh...After being so disappointed with Persuasion, I was thrilled with Northanger Abbey. The actors were really good, and the adaptation for film was MUCH better than the old BBC one. Less violence! No blood an gore!